Since we started this blogging thing, my sister has gotten quite good at requesting and receiving books from publishers to review, because, well, free books = awesome.
However, I am (and Amanda is too) still a fan of the old-fashioned way to get free books – AKA, the library. I am pretty excited about the brand new library here in Petersburg, VA.
I went over to check it out, even though I still have thousands of pages of Game of Thrones books to get through. (Uh, yes, I understand that tax dollars go towards those free books, but I have no objection towards taxes paying for books for everyone. So I’ll just keep calling them free books.)
I have noticed that bloggers seem to love lists, so I shall now present to you a list of five things that I think are essential for libraries.
1. Coffee. Oh, did you think I was going to start with something more, er, literary? I have my priorities, clearly. I was pretty excited when the trend of coffee shops in libraries started. [Note: I am also in favor of coffee shops in grocery stores.] Anyway, I’m not certain that the coffee shop in the Pburg library is fully operational yet, but I have high hopes.
2. Tons of light. Thanks to the glass wall and the open air design, this definitely looks like a happy place to sit.
3. Big tables. Speaking of sitting, I really like giant tables – and not for sharing, just because sometimes I take up a lot of space. J helped me build a desk for my office because I wanted a ridiculous amount of surface area – and many days, that’s still not enough room.
4. Movies. Hmmm, I don’t think this list is getting any more literary, is it? As much as I like the convenience of online streaming options, you know what else I like? Free movies. You can’t tell from this picture, but this little corner with DVDs might have been the busiest section of the library on a Saturday afternoon. I guess I’m not the only one who likes free movies.
5. Online book requesting. And now, I’m just getting lazy, but here’s the truth – even more than coffee shopes in libraries, I love love love that I can search a library catalog online, request the books I want, and get an email when they’re there waiting for me. Life-changing, people! Even in rural southeast Kansas, I had access to an extensive catalog through the regional library system.
Bonus points for: comfy chairs, rounded books shelves, and friendly librarians.
In short, libraries are awesome. What do you love about the lib?