Being the ambitious readers that we are, we decided to participate in Roof Beam Reader’s 2015 TBR Pile Challenge – motivated both by literary satisfaction AND the possibility of winning a $50 gift card. We like winning. And books.
The idea is to make a list of books that you’ve been meaning to read for at least a year – and then read them.
Seems simple enough, eh? So here goes:
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery(2008) (Completed 10/28/2015)
- A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (1990)
Persuasion by Jane Austen(1818) [this is for you, Paperback Princess. Actually, I think several of these books are] (Completed 3/19/15) Little, Big by John Crowley(1994) [for shame, circa 1996] (Completed 2/15/15) I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou(1970) (Completed 12/24/2015) The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling(2012) (Completed 4/1/2015) Isaac’s Storm by Erik Larson(2000) (Completed 11/21/2015) Little Men by Louisa May Alcott(1871) (Completed 12/12/2015)
- The Emperor of all Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee (2010)
- Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman (2006)
- When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present by Gail Collins (2009)
- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon (2001)
Alternates: I don’t need no stinkin’ alternates.
- Primary Colors by Anonymous (1996) [this has been sitting on my bookshelf taunting me for at least 10 years]
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams(1979) Feed by MT Anderson(2002)
- A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (1980)
- Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond (1997) [What was I thinking buying this on my honeymoon all those years ago? Not light beach reading]
Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer(1197) The Sandman Vol: 1 Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman(1991) The Painter of Battles by Arturo Perez-Reverte(2006) Persuasion by Jane Austen(1818) [What can I say I want to be like my sister]
- Five Days at Memorial by Sheri Fink (2013)
- Lipstick Jihad A Memoir of Growing up Iranian in America and American in Iran by Azadeh Moaveni (2005)
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy(1903)
Swamplandia by Karen Russell (2011)
Alternate 2. The Beekeeper’s Apprentice (Mary Russell #1) by Laurie R. King (1994)
Are you participating in this challenge? Any recommendations of where we should start?